Ever wondered why you have a headache after you put your favorite perfume on? Have you ever felt noxious, dizzy, had violent coughing after smelling someone who overindulged and “fell into the perfume bottle” like my dad would say?
Back in the days perfume were made entirely of natural essential oils. In the 30’s, some smart ass money makers (or let’s just remove the term “smart” all together) decided to create an affordable mass market product where essential oils would be replaced by synthetic & chemically derived ingredients.
Unfortunately, nowadays perfume contains an arsenal of dangerous chemicals, here is a few:
FRAGRANCE: (watch out for this one in other product s than perfume, it’s everywhere and NOT regulated!!) The word “fragrance” or “parfum” on the product label represents an undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants such as diethyl phthalate. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system.
OXYBENZONE: Biochemical or cellular level changes, Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation.
LILIAL: Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Biochemical or cellular level changes, Endocrine disruption, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Persistence and bioaccumulation; Other MODERATE concerns: Cancer, Organ system toxicity.
According to the daily mail “The liquid in the bottle represents only 3 per cent of the total cost of producing the perfume, the other 97 per cent goes to marketing, packaging and advertising.” So think twice before you head to the perfume store…
Don’t despair, there are easy and simple ways to smell divine without using any commercial perfumes, here are a recipe I made with 100% essential oils:
For more info on what is in your perfume bottle, check your brand here http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/fragrance+for+women/